Wednesday, December 30, 2009

...ready to pack

Hello from our new spin bike! Merry Christmas! A mother must master the fine art of multitasking so I typing this during the "downhill" portions of my ride this am :)

10 days to go! I can't believe it! 9 months in the making and it is time to pack. Last night I read my final race instructions and watched the race instruction video. 

I figured out from my bib number, #7738, that I will be in corral D (out of Elite through letter I). I just missed the C cut off ( based on my ToT 13k time) but am actually glad. They have a split start for the first 3.4 miles before the two groups merge. The first group has corrals A through C which means I would start in the last corral on that side. Doing the Galloway we always fall back at the start and I could quickly be at the back ( our strength comes from pacing well and picking up speed as we go and a strong finish). But at D I'm in the first corral on my side behind the Elite runners, so there will be plenty of folks behind me!

Anyone interested can follow my progress during the race using my bib number at http://live.activeresult.com/msg/MSG-signup.tcl?event_id=3 I've heard in the past it lags a little behind but will give an approximation of where I am when. Taking into account photos with the characters along the way, and running 6.2 miles longer then I ever have before, I'm hoping to be at or under 12 min/mile. If my knee acts up I'm hoping to hobble a 15 min mile. If I drop below 16 min/mile average I'll be on the sweep bus!

The race day weather at the moment is a bit iffy. "Real feel" low of 32 and high of 59 and ... rainy. High of 59 is great for running but sitting around on cold asphalt in the rain, temps in the low 30's from 4am to 5:45 when we start sounds pretty yucky to me! Hopefully the weathermen aren't right this far out!

I have a new SPORTS physical therapist, Jake at Kennedy Bothers in downtown Boston. He came highly recommended by some friends and apparently works with many marathoners and 
local "celeberties" like Mayor Menino who was on the table across from me rehabing his knee.
My appointment lasted 3 hrs and included a very thorough exam, stretching, heat therapy, strengthening, electrostimulation, and icing down. I go back tomorrow!

I have $100 left to go to reach my fundraising goal so if you would like to make a donation please follow the link on the right! Or take a look at the keychains i our older post that we are selling to help towards our fundraising goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment